Cancer Care - Naturopathic Medicine
Naturopathic doctors (NDs) are health care providers that focus on the management of illness and optimization of health using a variety of tools including nutrition, nutritional supplements, herbal medicine, and lifestyle counselling. Naturopathic medicine can be used alongside other forms of medicine to support health.
Naturopathic doctors focusing in cancer care are well-versed in the unique needs of people with a cancer diagnosis. They often focus on supporting quality of life, helping to manage side effects and symptoms of cancer and cancer treatment, reducing risk factors for cancer recurrence, supporting general health, and helping to navigate the often complex and confusing world of complementary medicine for cancer.
Naturopathic doctors have a bachelor’s degree, followed by a 4-year doctor of naturopathy degree from an accredited institution. Naturopathic doctors in Ontario must pass naturopathic licensing examinations, and the Ontario board examination prior to practicing. The naturopathic doctors at the OICC are all registered with the College of Naturopaths of Ontario, and attend yearly conferences and continuing education events related to cancer care.
The care of a naturopathic doctor may help with the following:
- Cancer prevention strategies (addressing risk factors)
- Reducing risk factors for cancer recurrence
- Nutrition for cancer prevention and management
- Digestive concerns (constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating, heartburn, IBS)
- Immune system support
- Complementary healthcare navigation
- Weight changes – either to help gain or lose weight as needed
- Sleep issues and dealing with insomnia
- Side effects including mouth sores, neuropathy, nausea, fatigue, immune suppression
You can find answers to commonly asked questions about naturopathic medicine on our FAQs Page.
Naturopathic Doctors & Clinic Hours
Dr. Dugald Seely, ND
Monday, Wednesday & Thursday,
1:00 - 4:00 pm
Dr. Gillian Flower, ND
Tuesday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Dr. Ellen Conte (McDonell), ND
Monday & Tuesday, 9:00 am - 4:15 pm
Thursday, 12:45 - 4:15 pm
85 Minutes - $285
55 Minutes - $185
40 Minutes - $145
25 Minutes - $95
15 Minutes - $60